Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shelves complete, Stringers cut...

Well, I finally finished the shelves.  It is not easy manipulating 28 foot curved wooden pieces that are 1 1/8" thick!  I got them laminated and all connected together.  The last job was putting a layer of 6 oz. fiberglass on what will be the bottom side of the shelf (gunnel).  Here are some pix:

 Yes, this is how long the boat is going to be, actually add about 5 feet for the motor bracket and anchor pulpit!
 Laying the glass over the top of the shelves
 Shelves have all the glass on them, now ready for epoxy
Wow, doesn't that epoxy look cool when it gets poured out!  It makes the fiberglass totally disappear.

Well, after the shelves were complete.  It was time to start getting the stringers complete.  First we had to run the Versalam LVL's through my wood planer to get the waxy coating off them.  This was pretty clumsy, but in the end it worked out.  We basically just fed the wood into one end and I carried it in, then my son hand carried out the other.  Nothing fancy, but it did completely fill up the sawdust collection can.  Check out the before and after picture:
Next, I had to remove the coating from the 1 3/4" side.  For this, I used my $31 dollar Harbor Freight electric hand planer.  Let me tell you, this thing works like a champ!


That tool worked perfectly.  After that, I lofted the curved lines on the stringers, and after quadruple checking the marks to make sure I was making two mirror images of stringers and not just two lefts or two rights, I started cutting with the circular saw using the right angles.  I had to change the angle on the circular saw many times, starting at 13 degrees all the way to 37 degrees at the bow.  The saw got HOT!  After that, I clamped the stringers together to match them up.  I ran the electric planer over the angles, and surprisingly they needed very little touch up.  I think they matched up pretty good, and I figured I better quit while I was ahead.







After this my son and I ripped down the plywood we need to make the bottom panels of the boat.  Next up....cutting the scarfs to make the long bottom panels and laminating the full sheets of plywood for the transom.

No comments:

Post a Comment