Friday, July 13, 2012

Cutting scarfs...Not so fun..Transom Done!
So how do you make a boat 28 feet long when you can only get plywood in 8 foot lengths?  Well you scarf it together of course!  I hade to make ( and have to make quite a few more) scarf joints.  My first attempt was not very good.  I stacked up the wood and got the 8:1 ratio all measured out.
And then started going to work with the trusty $31 Harbor Freight electric hand planer.  That tool eats some wood!  One problem that I had was for some reason, I did not connect the dust collector, so pretty soon I was standing in a mountain of sawdust with splinters everywhere.  The scarfs turned out OK, I guess I will get better with more practice.  I did clean them up with a sander a little bit just to get the rough splinters off.


Next up, I laminated 3 full sheets of plywood together to make the blank for the transom.  Talk about heavy, nearly 300 pounds.  After it dried I lofted the transom lines down and cut it out with a circular and jig saw.  Now this is a serious transom!

I got the building jig outside and the molds out there as well.  Next up is putting the bottom panels together and making the boat bottom!


No comments:

Post a Comment