Sunday, August 19, 2012

Side panels installed and trimmed on one side of boat

I pre-fiberglassed the inside of the side panels with some 6 ounce cloth.  I also made the side support pieces out of some "decent" looking fir 2x4's.  I rounded the 2x4's over and fiberglassed them with some 12 ounce glass I had.

My dad and Kenny helped me do this step.  First we installed the side panel supports.  I put in four supports on each side, 30" apart, starting from the transom.  

I found that my boat had sagged at the transom, and the chine flats were not that flat.  So my Dad came up with the good idea to connect the chain hoists to the transom and put a little pressure on them to take the sag out of the last foot of the shelves that were hanging over the rear shelf jig support.  Then he put a straight 2x6 along the chine flat, clamped it and screwed it. This made boat the chine flat and shelf very straight and fair.

My Dad is a pretty smart guy, and a pretty handy guy to have around!  Still grumpy as hell, though!
See the 2x6 screwed in place in the photo above.

Next he installed the side panel supports.  We epoxied them into place.

Now we had to figure out how to hang the side panels.  After reading the instructions from multiple sources, many times on how to install the side panels, we were all not sure on how to do it.  So in typical Stancil fashion, we just decided to start hanging panels.  It was not the smoothest process, but in the end the panels got installed!  We started at the bow and worked our way to the back.




The next side will be done slightly different.  I am going to start at the transom with a panel level and centered and install them like I was sheathing a house.

After everything cured overnight, and the monsoons went through for the day, Kenny and I went out and trimmed the extra off with a circular saw and router.  Turned out pretty good!








Only one side left....then a final glassing, sanding and painting....then flip it over!
Big thanks go out to my son Kenny and my dad Kenneth for helping out with this portion.

I have to make a trip to Phoenix, so it will be about a week before I start up again.  I could use a break anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment