Friday, August 24, 2012

All the side panels installed, we have a boat...

Well, today I got the other side of the boat covered with the four remaining side panels.  All the side panels are now complete.  All of the fabrication and construction on the basic hull is now finished.  Technically, I now have a boat!  If I flipped it over, it would float!

This time I started at the transom and just started installing the panels like I was sheathing a house.  They went on without any issues.  Next up, I have to trim and sand the panels and then get the entire hull bottom ready for fiberglassing.  Soon it will be time to paint the bottom and flip it over onto a trailer!






Tomorrow, trim the side panels off and start fairing and sanding.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jim, looking good. What kind of fastener's did you use on the plywood. Can you do a close up pic of them?

    Dave R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a Spax construction screw from Home Depot. I used mosly 1 1/2" with some 2 1/2" mixed in on some of the difficult bends. I used a 3/16" fender washer on each screw.

    The Spax screws are the best screws I have ever used. They use a T25 torx head, they dont strip out or shear off. they self drill, they are great screws for about the price of drywall screws.

    give them a try, use a cordless impact driver to put them in.

    ReplyDelete