Saturday, June 30, 2012

Got some good work done on the shelves today.
Today, I got the template all cut out for the shelves.  Also I got all the shelf material cut out on the table saw.  Since I am making the shelves 8 inches wide instead of 5, I had to figure a few things out on my own.  First, my new table of shelf loftings for the inside numbers worked fine.  A lot of math, but hey, that is what high school was for, right?
The first 16 feet of the boat!  Well, actually just the template.

I kind of went overboard connecting the two shelf templates together with the glue and staples!

Here is the shelf template and the shelf stock ready to go for tomorrow.

Also, I used a new trick to lift and move full sheets of plywood by myself.  I used a 12 foot piece of rope with a loop tie on each end.  Then placed the loop under the corner of each sheet of plywood, then used the middle of the rope as a perfectly balanced handle.

Another trick I used was when I needed to rip a full size sheet of plywood down, I always have trouble keeping constant tension against the fence.  This time I used my Rockwell Jawhorse with a feather board clamped in it to keep tension on the board.  It worked perfectly!  It was so easy to cut the large sheets that I may stop using the 9 foot straight edge and circular saw that I have been using for years because of trouble keeping the tension.  Here is the jawhorse and featherboard in action:


The Jawhorse is heavy enough that when you clamp the featherboard in (featherboard designed for a 3/4 table saw slot), that you can apply pretty good pressure and that board stayed right up against the fence.  It worked great.  I wish I would have had a jaw horse 20 years ago.  

When I was finished with all the math, it turned out that for the Great Alaskan, I only needed the front bow pieces (the first 8 feet) to be 18 inches wide (same as the plans).  Then I found out that even with the shelves being 8 inches wide instead of 5, I could make the next 8 feet  13 inches wide.  So I cut out my pieces of 3/4 and 3/8 Meranti, and I am ready to cut the templates of the shelves out tomorrow and get them glued up.  After that....stringers!

Tomorrow I hope to get the first 16 feet of shelves from the bow back, cut and glued up!

Check out fishyfish and Glacier Boats for some great info on boatbuilding!


No comments:

Post a Comment